Egg and Tomato Breakfast Recipe
You will need a frypan (though you can do this in a saucepan too) with a lid
Tomatos (any kind) though I prefer large beef or vine tomatoes - enough to cover the bottom of your frypan
Salt and pepper
Fresh basil or dried herbs - an Italian mix works well
- Slice the tomatoes into thick (about a 1cm wide) slices - if using cherry tomatoes just halve them
- Heat a generous mix of butter and coconut oil in a frypan on a medium heat
- Cover the base of your frypan with the tomatoes and season them the herbs and with salt and pepper to taste
- Once the tomatoes have softened (usually 4-5 mins) flip them to start cooking the other side
- After a minute or so, crack as many eggs as you wish over the tomatoes and place the lid on the frypan
- The eggs will poach in the combination of juices from the tomatoes and stream.
- Cook until the eggs are poached the way you like them. Usually about 3 minutes for runny yolks.
Fresh basil cooked with the tomatoes and placed as a garnish just before the eggs are finished cooking is delicious
Hope you enjoy my favourite breakfast dish